Thursday, March 6, 2014

Bye Bye Booze

I don't really do Lent . Not for religious reasons anyway. I understand  the whole point of it and it's a lot more than just 'giving up something' for 40 days. I just don't really do it. However, every year I'll give myself a challenge for health reasons.

Although I have to be careful because I have a tenancy of getting carried away. Example: 6 months after I had finally gotten back on track after being anorexic and bulimic for a really horrible 2 years, I thought it would be a good idea to give up bread (Atkins was pretty popular at the time). Within 2 weeks of Lent and giving up bread, I was suddenly giving up a lot of other things...other food things. Luckily I had some friends who saw this and convinced me to give up on Lent that year so I didn't whither into a toothpick. Since then, I haven't given up anything food related for Lent . My broken brain just can't handle it. I think other years I've tried meditating every day, or not swearing (I'm a lady with the mouth of a seasoned sailor), etc.

This year, I gave up alcohol. I'm hoping that after Lent, I won't want to use it to distract myself from my problems. I was drinking a lot more after I got out of the hospital. And hey, it'll be good for my liver. Everybody wins! (Well, technically I just win...but many different parts of me win)


No comments:

Post a Comment