Thursday, February 20, 2014

Resist the desire to do something stupid

One of the emails in my inbox that I was terrified to open was from my insurance provider. 'You have new documents now available to view.' Translation: Now I get to see how much I owe the hospital for my unnecessary stay. I haven't even gotten the bill from the Psych Ward yet, and I'm guessing insurance isn't gonna cover nearly as much of that as it did for the hospital.

Without insurance, it would have cost me over $10,000 - for a 2.5 day stay in the ER and 6 stitches. With insurance it came down to a more reasonable $1,500.

I say 'reasonable' because hospitals are expensive. And if you unfortunately have to go to one, whether it's planned or not, you know how expensive it can get, even for a short stay, even if you're only there for a few hours.

This was my first (and hopefully last ever) hospitalization. And I feel so angry and frustrated. My hospitalization was completely unnecessary and humiliated me at every turn, took away my freedom, my privacy, and my time. It didn't help me at all and put me in a worse condition than I was before I was stuck in there. And now I have to pay for it. Literally.

It is going to be really hard to stay on track tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment