Monday, October 21, 2013

Baby steps

I have a few tell-tale habits when I decide that, 'This time, I really mean it when I say I'm going to get healthy and exercise and go totally hardcore. Then, I'll have the body I've always wanted."

Usually, I'll say this the night before I plan on going for a run at 6am(even though I was stuck tending bar until 1am and I'm used to getting up at 7:30). Then I'll have a 'last meal;' something unhealthy of course, because I won't be eating that kind of junk again until I've reached my ideal goal.

Note: At no point in my life have I ever gotten up for a run at 6am unless my dog was whining at me to take him out.

I've also convinced myself to shell out money for a gym membership even though I hate gyms.

In the past 2 years, I've spent more time reading Runners World than actually running.

I've bought clothes that I didn't quite fit into as 'motivation.'

The list goes on...

 I start too big. My goals are unrealistic and almost unattainable unless I had the willpower of stone. I focused on big changes that had to start right now, and I wouldn't allow myself to slip. Except I would, very quickly, and as soon as I slipped I'd fall a little further back then where I started.

'If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results.'
-Jack Dixon

Ever since I read this quote, I've been trying to prove Mr. Dixon wrong. And Mr. Dixon('s quote) has kicked my sorry butt up and down the treadmill time and time again.

So let's start small this time. One challenge per week. Keep adding to that and see how I can become healthier. Some challenges will be bigger than others, but once a week I will be trying something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment