Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I get to run (this isn't a real post)

So, I injured myself.  I was dancing (while drunk) and fell and hurt my ankle pretty badly. It's been almost 2 weeks and it's still tender. All I've been doing is icing it and I haven't been working out, just walking. I'll see my doctor about it in a few weeks since I already have an appointment with her.

I really hope she'll just tell me to ice it for a bit longer and everything will go back to normal.  For the first time I thought about what it would be like if I couldn't run again. Honestly, I've been lucky. I've done enough stupid things that I should have been injured before, the worst I've ever had was an inflamed IT band.  Not running again, or the potential of getting injured again and having to take time off running scares the crap out of me. I know I haven't been running a lot recently(ahem, a lot), but I always have it in the back of my mind. I can't ever not think about it, even if I'm not doing it.

Maybe because of this, I stopped drinking and smoking cold turkey. So I tried to quit a few months ago, then the hospitalization happened. I'm trying again. I don't really have a plan or a mantra in case it gets bad; I just don't want to drink or smoke. And right now, that's enough.

Today is the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombings. I work very close to the finish line, and the whole city seems a little somber. And everyone seems a little kinder. I love this city.


No comments:

Post a Comment